Below is a list of some articles that I have written for the Screen Printing Industry during the past 16 years - I will Link to those that are available online and add ones as they are published. Thanks for your interest and if you have an idea or a question about articles feel free to contact me through email.
At some point I am going to consolidate these articles into topic groups and supply them as indexed e-books. If you are interested in this option please make sure to join my list!
Predicting and Managing Dot Gain
The advice shared here will help you anticipate the dot gain you’ll experience in your garment-printing work and minimize its negative effects.
Magnify Your Process to Multiply the Results
- ... Printing, News & Trends, garment printing, quality, Trimingham, Magazine, 2009, December, Thomas Trimingham) ...
Dramatic Depth on Dark Shirts
- ... requires a careful approach to creating separations. Trimingham describes his favorite method in this month's column. ... Gallery, Black, Dark Shirts, Magazine, June, 2009, Tom Trimingham) ...
Exploring the Quad-Tone Zone
- Subtitle: Trimingham looks at one of the more powerful separating options available in ... quad-tones, separations, Magazine, 2008, October, Tom Trimingham) ...
Pre-Separate Complex Graphics with Index Tables
- Subtitle: Trimingham explains how to use index dots to simplify the process of separating ... index color, separation, Magazine, February, 2010, Thomas Trimingham) ...
10 Tips for Launching a Preprint Garment Line
- ... a preprint line of garments takes time and effort, but as Trimingham explains, a foundation made of solid plans and the right mindset can ... depth, preprint garment line, Magazine, May, 2009, Thomas Trimingham) ...
The Future of Special Effects in Screen Printing
- Subtitle: This month, Trimingham looks at creating special effects on garments and gives advice on ... special effects on garments, Magazine, July, 2010, Thomas Trimingham) ...
An Underbase with a Punch
- ... underbase modifications, Magazine, 2006, September, Tom Trimingham) ...
Making Art Friendly for Unfriendly Surfaces
- ... garment printing, T-shirts, Magazine, June, 2010, Thomas Trimingham) ...
Creating and Separating Duotone Images
- ... grayscale, underbase, Magazine, May, 2006, Tom Trimingham) ...
Index Color: The Fastest Proof-to-Print System?
- ... being stuck with too many colors to print. This month, Trimingham debunks some myths about index color and explains how to use it as ... channels, vector software, Magazine, February, 2008, Tom Trimingham) ...
Three Ways to Isolate Color
- ... in Photoshop can be a challenging decision. This month, Trimingham narrows the playing field with three useful approaches to color ... color, Magic Wand tool, Magazine, February, 2009, Thomas Trimingham) ...
Cutting Costs to Keep More Cash
- Subtitle: Trimingham describes how creatively reducing expenses can allow you to earn ... product fulfillment, Magazine, 2008, August, Tom Trimingham) ...
Getting Registered Right from the Start
- ... is critical for reducing setup time and boosting profits. Trimingham discusses how you can reap the benefits of such a system. ... screen registration, templates, Magazine, June, 2008, Tom Trimingham) ...
The Single Color of Money
- ... designs is a lot greater than you may realize. This month, Trimingham describes how to add visual impact, extra value, and a higher price ... patterns, vintage designs, Magazine, April, 2008, Tom Trimingham) ...
Separations in Screen Printing for Variable Data
- Subtitle: Trimingham explores techniques that allow printers to satisfy different clients ... variable data on garments, Magazine, June, 2011, Thomas Trimingham) ...
Preparing Artwork for Direct-to-Garment Inkjets
- ... that just print what they get. About the author Thomas Trimingham is project manager/illustrator at Crown Prince in Franklin, WI. He ... knockout, white point, Magazine, 2005, December, Thomas Trimingham) ...
Dominating Dot Gain in Garment Separations
- ... doesn't have to interfere with your garment designs. Trimingham explains how to assess and adjust for gain so that you can print ... separations, test print, Magazine, April, 2005, Tom Trimingham) ...
Using T-shirt Color as a Canvas
- ... semi-transparent graphics, Magazine, July, 2005, Tom Trimingham) ...
Shake Up Your Separations
- ... your designs for printing! About the author Thomas Trimingham is the art director of Think Ink Screen Printing, Crystal Lake, IL. ... graphics, wildlife illustration, and logo-design contests. Trimingham also engages in freelance illustration, graphic design, and logo ...Using Curves to Separate Grayscale Images
- ... Wand tool, tonal range, Magazine, 2006, November, Tom Trimingham) ...
Separating Fine Art for Screen Printing
- ... split-process separations, Magazine, 2008, December, Tom Trimingham) ...
How to Make Stock Art Sizzle
- ... separations, shape layer, Magazine, January, 2007, Tom Trimingham) ...
The Search for the Supreme Separation Method
- ... separations, spot color, Magazine, 2007, August, Tom Trimingham) ...
Reaching for the Next Level in Simulated Process
- ... prints, spot-color channel, Magazine, March, 2007, Tom Trimingham) ...
Give it Your Best Dot
- ... compression, tonal range, Magazine, 2007, October, Tom Trimingham) ...
Color-Matching Ink Systems from the Ground Up
- ... colors, saturation, Magazine, February, 2007, Thomas Trimingham) ...
Creating Artwork for Direct-to-Garment Inkjet Printing
- ... conversion, underbase white, Magazine, March, 2008, Thomas Trimingham) ...
- ... printing, separations, Magazine, 2010, October, Thomas Trimingham) ...
Making Photos Friendly for Simulated Process
- ... simulated process, Wind filter, Magazine, May, 2007, Tom Trimingham) ...
Make Your Garments Shine with Foil
- ... special effects on garments, Magazine, July, 2006, Tom Trimingham) ...
Screen Printing on a Variety of Garment Fabrics
... printing, sublimation, Magazine, February, 2011, Thomas Trimingham) ...
Prepping Artwork for Fast Separation
... preparation, prepress, Magazine, 2011, October, Thomas Trimingham) ...
Distressed Designs for T-Shirts
... vintage garment gaphics, Magazine, May, 2006, Tom Trimingham) ...
Controlling Ink Flow with Combination Separations
... traditional halftones, Magazine, 2005, September, Tom Trimingham) ...
Creating Separation-Free Artwork
... separation-free artwork, Magazine, January, 2006, Tom Trimingham) ...
Increasing Profit by Crunching Colors
Subtitle: This month, Trimingham describes how to reduce costs and presssetup time by determining the ... (Articles, Garment Printing, Gallery, 2007, December, Tom Trimingham) ...
The Value of Standards in Printing Halftone Blends
... tend to attract more attention than plain decorations. Trimingham explains how to develop standards for applying blends in your ... viscosity modifiers, Magazine, June, 2009, Tom Trimingham) ...
Accelerate Your Art Department
... in the art department can save time and boost quality. Trimingham describes some methods you can use to initiate such improvements. ... system, tracking systems, Magazine, July, 2007, Thomas Trimingham) ...
How to Create Catchier Sales Sheets
July 05, 2010 - A challenge for every screen printer is keeping clients excited about their products and services. If you can keep customers thrilled with your designs, it is much easier to retain their business and the odds are good that they will refer others to your shop as well.
Start The Presses
October 21, 2015 - Performance T-shirts, compression apparel and other garments that include stretchy or synthetic fibers can be difficult to screen print and properly cure.
Hoodies Without the Hard Work
September 13, 2015 - The hoodie is a common staple among customers, especially those ordering custom athletic team apparel. The comfort, warmth and printability of this style have made it one of the most sought-after items for fans, competitors and coaches.
Screen Printing Artwork for Beginners, Part 1
April 26, 2012 - Starting out as an artist (or as a printer who wears an artist’s hat) for a screen printing company can initially seem a bit overwhelming.
A Womenswear Decoration Primer
April 06, 2014 - New fabrics, weaves, treatments and different constructions all have become the norm in ladies apparel. There are art, screen and printing considerations with these fabrics that are important if you want to create a quality finished product that will maintain durability and have good visual appeal.
How to Maximize Your Screen Printing Profits
November 24, 2014 - Before you can reap more profits from increasing your business, it is important to review your current system so that you can take advantage of more volume in the future. It is better to refine your process prior to adding more business because an increase in volume doesn’t necessarily mean an increase in profit.
Make Color Matching Easier
June 26, 2013 - The main obstacles to fast and efficient color matching involve educating customers, previewing and preparing the artwork properly, and using the right tools to modify or mix inks properly.
Screen Printing Artwork for Beginners, Part 2
August 27, 2012 - Artists who work for screen printers (or screen printers who also double as artists) must handle several tasks that are more complex than the basics, such as copying artwork and adjusting images for production.
Adding the 'Wow' to Womenswear
March 18, 2015 - There’s an interesting push in special-effects printing for ladies’ and juniors’ apparel that is more subtle. It even starts to push the boundaries of what is commonly considered special effects.
Handling Hoodies With Unique Printed Locations
December 21, 2014 - One way to stand out from your competitors is to offer a process that they don’t, particularly with regard to printing placements. This will not only create a specific demand that can land you clients who appreciate higher levels of creativity and artwork, but it also can develop strong customer relationships that are built on a “can-do” mentality.